Urology is a leading specialty in Kelina Hospital. Urology and Minimal Access Surgery are the main focus of Kelina Hospital, Lagos.
Urology is the specialty in Surgery that deals with problems involving the kidneys, ureters, urinary bladder, urethra, in both males and females, and reproductive organs in males. Organs associated with the urinary system such as adrenal glands also fall under the care of Urologists. Congenital problems such as hermaphroditism or intersex are often handled by Urologists. Some of these problems require gender assignment, in which case it is difficult to determine whether the individual is male or female and surgery is required to make the child or adult look like a normal male or normal female.
Our Urology practice is headed by Dr C. U. Undie.
Dr Undie qualified from the University of Nigeria Medical School. He is a:
Fellow of the West African College of Surgeons
Former Executive Committee Member of the Nigerian Association of Urological Surgeons.
Member, Endourology Society
Member, American Urological Association
Member, the Societe Internationale d’Urologie (SIU).
Member, European Urology Association.
His main interest is in Minimal Access Surgery, Laparoscopic Surgery, Laser Lithotripsy for kidney stones, Holmium Laser Enucleation of the Prostate (HOLeP), Green Light Laser Vaporization of the Prostate.
Urology Practice in Kelina Hospital has been responsible for most of our milestones. For example:
- The first Percutaneous Nephrolithotmy (PCNL) in Nigeria was done in Kelina Hospital.
- Dr Undie was the first Nigerian Urologist to do PCNL on his own, using ultrasonic, laser and pneumatic lithotripsy.
- The first Minipercutaneous Nephrolithotomy (Miniperc) in Nigeria was done in Kelina Hospital by Dr Undie.
- Kelina Hospital was one hospital in Nigeria that started doing Bipolar TURP for prostate from the very beginning, rather than monopolar which everybody else was doing at that time.
- The first laparoscopic radical prostatectomy for prostate cancer in Nigeria was done in Kelina Hospital.
- The first laparoscopic pyeloplasty for Pelvi-ureteric Junction Obstruction or PUJ obstruction in Nigeria was done by Dr Undie.
- Kelina Hospital is the first hospital in West Africa to acquire the Swiss Lithoclast Master for PCNL.
- About half our Urology patients go home same day after surgery. More than 90% of our urological surgeries are done through Minimal Access Surgery (endoscopic or laparoscopic). Urology is the busiest department in Kelina Hospital.
- Kelina was the first hospital in West Africa to do Holmium Laser Enucleation of the Prostate.
- Kelina was the first hospital in Africa to acquire, install or use the first P120 laser, Moses technology®
- Kelina Hospital has never had any intra-operative mortality in 14 years.