Kelina Medical Centre opened its doors to patients. Operations began with a
staff strength of 27
First Year Anniversary: Kelina Medical Centre hosted Solomon Giwa-Amu Foundation. A total of 22 Surgical Operations were done by the foundation on charity
Kelina Hospital acquired the first set of lower urinary tract endoscopes.
Second Year Anniversary: Kelina Medical Centre became Kelina Hospital. Free Health checks were offered to patients on diabetes, hypertension, and free eye checks were offered as well.
- Third Anniversary. Kelina Hospital collaborated with Surgical Aid Foundation. Members of the foundation, including Prof Ima-Obong Ekanem and Dr Friday Odey visited Kelina Hospital.
- Kelina Hospital launched a long list of equipment including those for Minimal Access Surgery, Fluoroscopy, X-ray, Ambulance with life-support facilities, Dental Clinic equipment and Hearse.
- Kelina Hospital acquired the first set of lower urinary tract endoscopes
- Kelina Hospital hosted Prof Ahmed Mamdouh Shoma, to several endourological and laser-based surgical sessions along with Dr Undie, on charity, funded partially by Surgical Aid Foundation, including the first PCNL in Nigeria, done on a widow. Prof. Ahmed Shoma delivered the First Kelina Hospital Public Lecture in Merit House, National Merit Award Centre, Maitama, Abuja. Justice Suleiman Belgore chaired the occasion.
Fourth Anniversary: Kelina Hospital received the President of Société Internationaled’Ulologie (SIU), a world-wide body of Urological Surgeons, Dr Mahesh Desai, with a large team of expatriate Surgeons and support staff from Karl Storz (Germany), Johnson and Johnson (USA), and Cook (SouthAfrica), on a Surgical Mission to Africa to assist in the training of Urologists in Nigeria and other West African Countries using Kelina Hospital equipment. Dr. Desai, being President of SIU, became the highest ranking International Surgeon to date on a Health Mission to Nigeria. In 2012, Dr Mahesh Desai also assumed office as the President of the Endourology Society in the World Congress of Endourology in Istanbul,Turkey. Kelina Hospital celebrated with Dr Desai. Kelina Hospital hosted 15 Urologists from all over Nigeria.
The first Laparoscopic Radical Prostatectomy in Nigeria was done in Kelina Hospital.
Every year, Kelina Hospital carried out a training programme as well as high-tech surgeries as part of our charity programme in liaison with Surgical Aid Foundation.
The 2012 Kelina Hospital-Surgical Aid Foundation programme was supported by Karl Storz (Germany), Cook (USA), Olympus(Japan), Johnson & Johnson (USA), JNCNigLtd (Lagos), Muljbhai Patel Urological Hospital, Nadiad, India,& Richpon Nig Ltd.
Fifth Anniversary: Kelina Hospital hosted Surgical Aid Foundation and Dr Mohan Keshavamurthy, a Fellow of the American Society of Transplant Surgeons, and Consultant Urologist from Fortis Hospital, Bangalore, India, in the annual Surgical Outreach program. Dr Mohan delivered a Guest Lecture held in Shehu Musa Yar’Adua Centre, Central Area, Abuja, titled “Use of Lasers in Urology“. Dr Alex Izinyon, SAN, OFR, chaired the ceremony.
Kelina Hospital acquired the mini perc in Nigeria. Kelina Hospital Urologist carried out a mini perc procedure for kidney stones on a 39 year old Nigerian, the first of such procedures to be done in Nigeria. Kelina Hospital Urologist carried out a supra-coastal approach to the Kidney for PCNL, the first to be done by any Nigerian Urologist.
Kelina Hospital installed equipment for Urodynamic Studies. Kelina Hospital acquired a second tower for Ureterorenoscopy and Laser Lithotripsy.
Kelina Hospital installed another tower for Minimal Access urological surgeries (such as uretero-renoscopy and others), from Karl Storz, bringing the total to three; two from Olympus and one for Karl Storz.
Kelina Hospital installed the first plasma sterilizer, in Nigeria, for sterilizing endoscopic equipment.
Kelina Hospital acquired the first Moses Technology 120 watts Holmium Laser in Africa for laser-based surgery, bringing our total number of lasers to two.
Kelina Hospital carried out the first Holmium Laser Enucleation of the Prostatesurgery ever to be done in Nigeria or by a Nigerian Urologist.
- Kelina Hospital acquired the Autoclave machine for sterilization. The hospital
also acquired another Autoclave machine for her Dentistry department.
- Kelina Hospital performed 54 Holmium Laser Enucleation of the Prostate (HoLEP) surgeries.
- Presented results from first 49 HoLEP surgical operations at the Annual General Meeting and Scientific Conference of the West African College of Surgeons.
- First Organization in Nigeria to perform modern stone analysis using Infrared Spectroscopy and Optical Crystallography.
- Presented results of kidney stone analysis done on 155 patients in the Annual General Meeting of Urologists in the West African College of Surgeons.
Kelina Hospital acquired the 100W Cyber Ho Quanta Laser Machine as a backup laser for HoLEP and other Minimal Inasive Surgeries.